Parents Code of Conduct
As a member of the HUFC (Parents and/or Guardian), I hereby agree to the following Charters on behalf of myself and my child(ren).
Understanding that parents are the singular most important role model for their children, I agree to:
- Encourage children to play according to the rules, and to settle disagreements without resorting to hostility or violence.
- Give positive encouragement from the sidelines because it is the best way to support the team and my child’s athletic endeavours. Never ridicule or yell at a child for making a mistake or not winning.
- Teach my child to play by the rules, respect game officials and respect others, because it is as important as learning the skills necessary to successfully play a sport; encourage other children to do likewise.
- Show appreciation for coaches, officials and administrators – remember they are usually volunteers.
- Applaud good performance and effort, from all individuals and teams.
- Congratulate all participants, regardless of the game’s outcome.
- Condemn the use of violence, verbal abuse or vilification in any form, regardless of whether it is by spectators, coaches, officials or players.
- Support all policies and practices (lead by example) – this includes health and safety, responsible alcohol and drug use and support of child safe strategies.
- Respect the rights, dignity and worth of every young person, regardless of their gender, ability, cultural background or religion.
- Be aware of, and follow the correct processes, if there is an issue or complaint, and to not perpetuate issues with gossip or general criticism.
- Maintain and display self-control while attending practices, games or tournaments in which my child is participating.
- Recognise that the Coach or Manager can best represent the team when dealing with any match or club officials.
- Should the behaviour of my child prove to be detrimental to the enjoyment and experience of other team and club members, then I understand that his/her membership may be cancelled
a) immediately if the behaviour warrants it
b) following a period of review if the behaviour does not improve
- Report any hazards or injuries via the website
Players Code of Conduct
- Play by the rules.
- Never argue with an official – if you need clarification, have your captain, coach or manager approach the official during a break or after the competition
- Work equally hard for yourself and your team – your team’s performance will benefit, so will you.
- Be a good sport – applaud all good plays whether they are made by your team or the opposition.
- Show respect to and acknowledge opponents and officials (e.g. shake hands before and after the game and say things like ‘good luck’, ‘thanks for the game’, ‘thanks ref’, ‘three cheers for …’).
- Cooperate with your coach, team mates and opponents – without them there would be no competition.
- Participate for your own enjoyment and benefit – not just to please parents and coaches.
- Play fair — no verbal or physical abuse of officials, spectators or other players, no physical or verbal intimidation of other players (including vilification) or deliberately distracting or provoking an opponent.
- Respect the rights, dignity and worth of all participants – regardless of their gender, ability, cultural background or religion.
- Do not expect or accept “special” favours from a coach or person involved in team or club management.
- Speak to an adult you trust if you have an issue, feel unsafe or are concerned about someone else.